The Francophone History of Calgary
In Calgary, the first permanent french mission settled in 1872. The village of Rouleauville was born, and in 1907 it was annexed to the City of Calgary and renamed the district of Mission. Rouleauville is the heart of the city’s Francophone history, and since 1995 several projects have been implemented to highlight this history, including:
The Francophone Origins of Calgary
A TIMELINE OF FRENCH HISORY:
The first missionThe first permanant francophone missionaries break ground in the area.
Fort BriseboisFort Brisebois is built by the North West Mounted Police. It is renamed to its current title, Fort Calgary, in 1876.
The First ParishThe first parish to be established in the area, Notre-Dame-de-la-Paix, is composed mainly of French-speaking Métis and French-Canadians, including the Rouleau brothers who play a leading role in defending Francophone interests.
RouleauvilleThe francophone village is officially named Rouleauville, with a population of 500. At the same time, the city of Calgary has a population of 4,000 .
IncorporationRouleaville is incorporated into Calgary under the name of "The Mission Quarter", slowly losing more and more of its francophone roots.
Founding of the French Canadian Association of AlbertaStarting in the 1920s (with the founding of the French Canadian Association of Alberta in 1926), the French Canadians of the province came together in order to maintain their language and culture.
History of the Franco-Albertans:
Click on the below links to learn more about the history of French Albertans and their role in Calgarien history!
The History of Rouleauville:
The ongoing development of the heart of Calgary's French origins.
Several programs and initiatives have been put in place to enhance Calgary's Francophone heritage in the Mission district, formerly Rouleauville.