The Francophone History of Calgary
In Calgary, the first permanent French mission settled in 1872. The village of Rouleauville was born, and in 1907 it was annexed to the City of Calgary and renamed the district of Mission. Rouleauville is the heart of the city’s Francophone history, and since 1995 several projects have been implemented to highlight this history, including:
The Francophone Origins of Calgary
A TIMELINE OF FRENCH HISORY:
First MissionThe first permanent French mission is established in the territory.
Fort BriseboisFort Brisebois is built by the Nord West Mounted Police. It becomes Fort Calgary in 1876.
First ParishNotre-Dame-de-la-Paix becomes the first parish to be established counting a majority French-Métis and French-Canadian population, including the Rouleau brothers, who later played a leading role in defending the interests of Francophones.
MissionThe Francophone village is officially named Mission and has a population of 500 inhabitants. The city of Calgary has a population of 4,000 at the time.
IncorporationMission is incorporated into Calgary under the name Mission District followed by the rapid decline of the District's original Francophone roots.
Creation of The French Canadian Association of AlbertaStarting in the 1920's (The French Canadian Association of Alberta is created in 1926), French-Canadians in the province organize to maintain their French language and culture.
History of the French-Albertans:
Click on the below links to learn more about the history of French Albertans and their role in Calgarian history!
The History of Mission:
The ongoing development of the heart of Calgary's French origins.
Several programs and initiatives have been put in place to enhance Calgary's Francophone heritage in the Mission district, formerly Rouleauville.